Default color table likely to be changed: need your input!

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Apr 12 2012 - 18:39:38 MDT

Hi all,

Sorry about the multiple emails from me lately. We are getting ready for a pretty major release (6.1.0) and would like your input.

Our next release is going to contain some significant new features in our color capabilities (more on this in a later email).

We are likely going to change the default color table from the 32-color one we've been using for years:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/Images/default.png

to a "better" and large color table (likely close to 256 colors, with a nice span of colors).

We realize this is a potentially backwards-incompatible change, but the default one is not large enough, and we feel the positive far outweights the negative.

We would like to hear from you (feel free to email me directly) if you have a favorite color table that you use, or if you've created one that you think might be a good one for NCL.

Of course you will still be able to change the default color table, regardless of what we choose.

Here are some possible candidates; note that we don't want to choose one with a lot of white in it:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/BlAqGrYeOrReVi200.shtml
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/BlGrYeOrReVi200.shtml
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/rainbow.shtml
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/WhiteBlueGreenYellowRed.shtml (minus the White sections)

If you have an opinion on this, or have a better color table, let me know. If a lot of people end up posting on this, then I may suggest just emailing me directly so we don't clutter up people's mailboxes.

Thanks for your time,