Ubuntu i686 - NCL Version 6.0

From: Paul Scorer <paul.scorer01_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Apr 18 2012 - 09:54:30 MDT

We have recently determined that the version of NCL supplied with

Ubuntu 11.10

as

ncl_ncarg-6.0.0.Linux_Debian_i686_nodap_gcc432.tar.gz

does not work entirely as one might hope.

Identical code processing identical data fails on this version of NCL
but is fine with, for example, ncl-6.0.0-2.fc16.i686 from the Fedora 16
repositories.

The issue relates to the cape_thermo() function, which is part of the
skewt_func.ncl package although cape_thermo() itself is built in to ncl.
The code hangs in (the Ubuntu version of) cape_thermo()

A test suite is attached, which you can run as
$ ncl test-cape.ncl

I cannot include the datafile as it is too large for the mail system.
Please contact me if you would like access to it.

If the code hangs, I suggest getting another version of ncl if you wish
to use the skewt_func package.

HTH

PaulS