Problem using dim_numrun_n and plotting output

From: Cannavina, Dominique <d.cannavina11_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jun 28 2012 - 11:24:17 MDT

Hi NCL-Talk

I am writing a script to count the number of occurances for given number of consecutive days that a temperature falls below a given temperature. The data I am am using is from the DEMETER project and each file contains 3 different models each running 9 ensembles to give daily minimum temperatures. The domain covering Europe.

I have written a script using dim_numrun_n to count up the number of occurances of a run of temperature below zero where the run is 1 day below zero, 2 days below zero, 3 days .........

But when I go to plot the output I get a plotting errors -I have tried a few variations of the plot = line and so have included two of them (the full script is attached)

fatal:syntax error: line 207 in file /work/dc2011/WRF/ECMWF_DEMETER/plt_min2m_allmodels_allensembles_all_days.ncl before or near ;,;),res)

plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,tc2_tally(0,0,;,;),res)

^

fatal:Error in subscript, normal subscripting is being used, make sure named subscripting has not been used

fatal:syntax error: line 207 in

file /work/dc2011/WRF/ECMWF_DEMETER/plt_min2m_allmodels_allensembles_all_days.ncl before or near ;,;,;,;,;),res)

plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,tc2_tally(;,;,;,;,;),res)

^

fatal:Syntax Error in block, block not executed

fatal:error at line 215 in file /work/dc2011/WRF/ECMWF_DEMETER/plt_min2m_allmodels_allensembles_all_days.ncl

I printed out the variable tc2_tally (see below) and it has 5 dimensions and looking at the sizes I think it is

[number of files] x [number of days in each sample] x [number of ensembles] x [lat] x [lon]

Variable: tc2_tally

Type: integer

Total Size: 6998400 bytes

1749600 values

Number of Dimensions: 5

Dimensions and sizes: [2] x [180] x [9] x [18] x [30]

Coordinates:

Apart from my plotting issue would this indicate a second problem earlier up in my script as I was expecting less dimensions?

A sample of the main variables is given below

Kind regards

Dominique

Variable: ukmo

Type: float

Total Size: 6998400 bytes

1749600 values

Number of Dimensions: 5

Dimensions and sizes: [ncl_join | 2] x [step | 180] x [number | 9] x [latitude | 18] x [longitude | 30]

Coordinates:

step: [24..4320]

number: [0..8]

latitude: [75..32.5]

longitude: [-27.5..45]

Number Of Attributes: 6

_FillValue_original : -32767

_FillValue : -32767

missing_value_original : -32767

units : K

long_name : Minimum 2 metre temperature

missing_value : -32767

Variable: scwf

Type: float

Total Size: 6998400 bytes

1749600 values

Number of Dimensions: 5

Dimensions and sizes: [ncl_join | 2] x [step | 180] x [number | 9] x [latitude | 18] x [longitude | 30]

Coordinates:

step: [24..4320]

number: [0..8]

latitude: [75..32.5]

longitude: [-27.5..45]

Number Of Attributes: 6

_FillValue_original : -32767

_FillValue : -32767

missing_value_original : -32767

units : K

long_name : Minimum 2 metre temperature

missing_value : -32767

Variable: cnrm

Type: float

Total Size: 6998400 bytes

1749600 values

Number of Dimensions: 5

Dimensions and sizes: [ncl_join | 2] x [step | 180] x [number | 9] x [latitude | 18] x [longitude | 30]

Coordinates:

step: [24..4320]

number: [0..8]

latitude: [75..32.5]