Re: Calculating div/grad and vector

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 26 2012 - 09:03:05 MDT

Assuming you are referring to a WRF grid, the answer is "no" to the
'div' and 'grad' functionality.

If the data had been global and on a rectilinear grid,
NCL's spherical harmonic functions could perform the 'div'
and 'grad' operations. Unfortunately, the spherical harmonic functions
can not be applied to a non-global or curviliner grids.

---
"Calculating a vector": Basic geometry? (w=>omega).
   vlen = sqrt( (u(1)-u(0))^2 + (v(1)-v(0))^2 + (w(1)-w(0))^2 )
   a is the angle between vlen and the x-axis
   b is the angle between vlen and the y-axis
   c is the angle between vlen and the z-axis
   a = acos((u(1)-u(0))/vlen)
   b = acos((v(1)-v(0))/vlen)
   c = acos((w(1)-w(0))/vlen)