Re: Band-pass filter weights

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Aug 07 2012 - 23:28:18 MDT

Did you look at: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/filter.shtml ?

The quotes below basically say the same thing. To adequately filter
a small band width (eg, 2-6 days) requires more, possibly many
more weights, than is required for a broader band-width (eg, 20-100
days). Please read the article:
   Reference: C. Duchon
     J. Applied Meteorology; August,1979; pp 1016-1022

This describes the Lanczos filter used in filwgts_lanczos:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/filwgts_lanczos.shtml

You can also use an fft to perform filtering though you must
be careful about Gibbs phenomenon, side lobes, etc
A good book on digital filtering is:
   The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing
   Steven W. Smith, Ph.D.

---
I think you sent a question to the  Climate Data Operators (CDO)
group. I have no idea what filter they use but did the CDO not work?
---
I have taken Example 4 at the above filter page and altered it.
filters_1d.ncl uses one time series to generate a few plots.
Basically, the FFT and the Lanczos filters yield identical results
away from the beginning and ends of the overall series. Some think
the FFT is 'better' because it returns values at the beginning and end
whereas the Lanczos returns missing values. This is *NOT* true.
Those 'bonus' values are 'bogus' ... you can not get something
for nothing. The problem is that some people might actuall use
those bogus values.
filters_3d.ncl actually does some filtering on 3D OLR and plots
several different approaches to looking at the data.
It is *your job* to look at the printed output, the plots,
study the NCL language and learn about filters.
I am very busy and can not answer any more questions on this.
Good luck