NARR Dataset Zooming into specific region

From: <jokalebo_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 05 2012 - 12:50:51 MDT

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have modified the narr_3.ncl to read precipitation from grib files from NARR.

However, I am having difficulties zooming in on Nebraska (Latitude 39 N to 45 N and Longitudes 95 W to 104 W). The diagrams that I obtain do not appear correct.

Please see the pdf attached.

Kindly assist me. Should I use overlay?

I have also tried using the solution I found online but have been struggling for a week now.

Hi David,
>>> Yes, you should be able to overlay contour plots, NARR (w/2D lats/lons)
>>> or otherwise. Can you send the group the code you are using?
>>>
>>> One thing to watch for: Make sure the 2nd plot going into overlay is not
>>> a "_map" plotting function. For instance, if the first plot was created
>>> with this:
>>> plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,data,res)
>>>
>>> then the second plot should be created with gsn_csm_contour:
>>> plot2 = gsn_csm_contour(wks,data2,res)
>>> overlay(plot,plot2)
>>>
>>> Adam

Please find the narr_3.ncl code that I am trying to use.

Jane Okalebo
PhD student
HPRCC, School of Natural Resources
University of Nebraska-Lincoln