Re: Interpolating between two curvilinear grids.

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Sep 25 2012 - 13:27:07 MDT

There has been a lot of ncl-talk traffic about the ESMF regrid
functionality that is in 6.1.0-beta. See

See: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/

Under 'Data Analysis', click 'ESMF Regridding'

There are numerous examples of regridding one curvilinear
grid to another.

  The basic steps of NCL/ESMF regridding involve:

     Reading or generating the "source" grid.
     Reading or generating the "destination" grid.
     Creating special NetCDF files that describe these two grids.
     *Generating a NetCDF file that contains the weights.
     Applying the weights to data on the source grid,
              to interpolate the data to the destination grid.
     Copying over any metadata to the newly regridded data.

*This is the most important step. Once you have a weights file, you can
skip steps #1-4 if you are interpolating data on the same grids.