NetCDF error: NetCDF: One or more variable sizes violate format constraints

From: Patrick C. Campbell <pcampbe2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat Nov 03 2012 - 08:15:38 MDT

Hello,

I am on NCAR's Bluefire computer, and wondering if someone had some insight on the following error when using NCL to write a variable to a newly created netCDF file using addfile:

NetCDF error: One or more variable sizes violate format constraints.

It appears my script works fine when writing to a smaller file, and writes some other variables to my larger file previously in the script, o I figured it had to do with the size of the variable (file) becoming too large when trying to write the final variable ( > 2 GB). Thus I had tried the following fix after searching the web:

setfileoption("mylargefile.nc", "Format", "LargFile")

However, I receive the same error when using this command in my script.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could I still get the same error if the problem is different than the size of the netCDF file?

Thanks!

Patrick