Re: Font type and size

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Nov 07 2012 - 15:13:38 MST

Hi Ed,

There is one caveat to trying to set a global font size for everything.

NCL has something called a "PlotManager" that tries to clean up the look of a plot by setting certain sizes for things, including font sizes.
There may be cases where you set something to size 0.02, but the PlotManager will get in there and slightly change this.

For example, if you create a labelbar and give it a certain size, and then you give the labelbar labels a large font size, the PlotManager might make the font sizes smaller in order to fit everything in the space that you allocated for the labelbar. In this case, you can turn off the labelbar PlotManager by setting lbAutoManage to False, but then this means you have to set more resources to control the look of the labelbar yourself.

Finally, if you panel plots with gsn_panel, or resize them after you have created them, then the font sizes will change in conjunction with the size of the plot.

If you need to make plots small so you can panel them, but you need to keep the font sizes relatively large, then the best thing to do is to not use gsn_panel, and instead use the vpXF/vpYF/vpHeightF/vpWidthF resources to control the size and location of each plot, and then use the xxxFontHeightF resources as needed.

--Mary