Re: Problem Regardsing TickMarks

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Nov 26 2012 - 09:53:39 MST

Dear Srikanth,

I think you may have encountered a bug in the tickmarks, but, since you are drawing a cylindrical equidistant map, I believe that instead of this:

> res@tmXBMode = "Manual"
> res@tmXBTickStartF = -10.0
> res@tmXBTickEndF = 38.0
> res@tmXBTickSpacingF = 1.0
>
> res@tmYLMode = "Manual"
> res@tmYLTickStartF = 30.0
> res@tmYLTickEndF = 46.0
> res@tmYLTickSpacingF = 1.0

you can try this (UNTESTED):

      lat_values = ispan(-10,38,1)
      lat_labels = "" + abs(lat_values)
      lat_labels = where(lat_values.lt.0,lat_labels+"S",lat_labels)
      lat_labels = where(lat_values.gt.0,lat_labels+"N",lat_labels)

      lon_values = ispan(30,46,1)
      lon_labels = "" + abs(lon_values)
      lon_labels = where(lon_values.gt.0,lon_labels+"E",lon_labels)
      lon_labels = where(lon_values.lt.0,lon_labels+"W",lon_labels)

      res@tmXBMode = "Manual"
      res@tmXBValues = lon_values
      res@tmXBLabels = lon_labels

      res@tmYLMode = "Explicit"
      res@tmYLValues = lat_values
      res@tmYLLabels = lat_labels

Of course, you can change the labels as you see fit.

For a full example, see mptick_8.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mptick.shtml

--Mary