Re: Overlay is not working

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jan 09 2013 - 12:15:21 MST

Hi Abhik,
(All: This concludes the discussion Abhik and I have been having which
temporarily went offline.)

You are trying to do something that can get quite complicated, in that
you are trying to overlay a spatial XY plot with a timeseries plot, and
while they span the same longitude range (X-axis) they do not span the
same x-axis (level/values). Using overlay is therefore out of the
question. There are a few possibilities that can be tried, but all of
them require a lot of trial and error to get everything lined up
correctly, which will be time-consuming.

I have taken the script that you sent me (offline), modified it to use
some data that I have here, and successfully overlaid the two on one
another. I chose to go with manual overlaying without using gsn_panel,
drawing each set of panels individually. This allowed me to control
exactly where each plot was drawn on the frame.

You will have to merge my code with your own code. Note that I tried to
comment where I added/changed resources. I had to set enough new
resources that I did not comment on why I needed to set/change them.

This will also have to end my involvement with your script, as I cannot
take up anymore of my time attending to this. Please direct further
questions about this script to ncl-talk.

I have attached the modified script and the resulting image.
Good luck,
Adam

On 01/08/2013 11:24 AM, Adam Phillips wrote:
> Hi Abhik,
> There is still a major draw/frame issue with your coding. Without seeing
> your code I am constrained in what I can recommend.
>
> However, I (now) notice that your longitude ranges between your xy plot
> and your xy timeseries match. You can try overlaying them as Mary
> originally suggested. Modifying the coding I sent earlier:
>
> do j =0,5
> res = True
> res@gsnDraw = False
> res@gsnFrame = False
> plotz(j) = gsn_csm_contour(wks,z,res)
> xyres =True
> xyres@gsnDraw = False
> xyres@gsnFrame = False
> plotx(j) = gsn_csm_xy(wks,lon,x,xyres)
> overlay(plotz(j),plotx(j))
> delete(ntim) ; do not delete anything else other than ntim, x, and z
> delete(x)
> delete(z) j = j+1
> end do
> resP = True
> resP@gsnMaximize = True
> resP@gsnFrame = False
> gsn_panel(wks,plotz,(/6,1/),resP) ; create panel
> txres = True
> txres@txAngleF = 90. ; Rotate string clockwise
> txres@txFontHeightF = 0.01
> gsn_text_ndc(wks," Pressure (hPa) ",0.34,0.68,txres)
> frame(wks)
> end
>
> In the end, overlaying can take a lot of trial and error on your part.
> You might have to remove subtitles, change font heights, check that your
> draw and frame statements are correct, etc. But the code basis I include
> above should get you on the right track, especially in terms of your
> draw and frame issues.
> Adam
>
> On 01/07/2013 09:51 PM, Abhik Santra wrote:
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> It didn't work properly.
>> Please check the attached plot.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Abhik

NCAR/Climate and Global Dynamics Division       (303) 497-1726
P.O. Box 3000
Boulder, CO 80307-3000    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/asphilli