format "time" on x axis of xy plot

From: Vanessa Vincente <vvincent_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2013 - 23:26:34 MST

Hello,

I am running an NCL script to plot accumulated precipitation ("rainnc")
with time (total of 48 hourly values). I would like to plot the time
stamps from the wrf output file on the x-axis, but in a more concise way.

For example, instead of using "2012-06-07_21:00:00",
is there a way I can just extract the day and hour from it,
put it into an array (similar action for all the other times in my file),
and plot this array with my data using "gsn_xy"?

Thanks in advance!
Vanessa