NCL and Grib Files with Second Order Packing

From: James Belanger <james.belanger_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Mar 01 2013 - 07:09:56 MST

NCL community,

I'm using NCL Version 6.0 and am having an issue extracting data from
grib (v1) files that ECMWF sends us in real-time that feature second
order packing (significantly reduces file size). While I am able to
use addfile and can view the variables with a print statement with
NCL, when I try to extract any of the variables, I receive a
segmentation fault error. I've traced the issue to the way the grib
files have been packed --> if I repack the files using ECMWF's grib
API from second order to simple packing, I have no problems extracting
the data. I checked the NCL archive and from my cursory look haven't
found this issue reported before.

At this time, the work around I've adopted is to repack the grib files
before using NCL to extract and manipulate the data. However, it
would be nice if future versions did not require this work around. I
also wasn't sure if maybe this issue had been addressed in a later
update since I'm not using the latest version.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

Thanks,
James

--