Re: No US state boundaries with high resolution map

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 12 2013 - 18:14:54 MDT

Jeff,

Did you look at all three frames? This example generates three frames: one with high-res coastal outlines, one with state outlines, and the final one with both.

If you are not seeing both in the third frame, then please change the output in the gsn_open_wks file to "png" and send me the resultant file (usstates.000003.png). Also, let me know what version of NCL you have.

I've attached the third frame that I get when I use NCL V6.1.2. It also works with V5.2.1, V6.0.0 and V6.1.0

--Mary

On Mar 7, 2013, at 8:47 AM, Jeff wrote:

> Hi Mary,
>
> Thank you for your quick reply.
>
> I tried the script you attached but still get high resolution
> coastlines only. I mean, no boundaries between states.
>
> I modified the script to add map_us to map_hires and then draw
> map_hires but got same result.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff
>
> but still don't get the boundaries between states.
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Mary Haley <haley@ucar.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> The high-res database is a coastal database only, and doesn't include internal boundaries.
>>
>> You could create the map twice, once with the high-res coastline, and once
>> with the us states outlined, and then attach one to the other so they
>> become one plot.
>>
>> The slight problem with this is you end up with two sets of boundaries
>> in some cases.
>>
>> Dave might have some ideas about how to mask the coastal part of the US outlines.
>>
>> I've attached a sample script.
>>
>> You could also just use shapefiles. I know there are shapefiles that have
>> high-res coastal and internal boundaries.
>>
>> See example "shapefiles_8_new.ncl" at:
>>
>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml
>>
>> This shows how to draw outlines for India, but you can use
>> the same information to draw outlines for the U.S.
>>
>> The US shapefiles can be downloaded from:
>>
>> http://www.gadm.org/country
>>
>> --Mary
>>

>> On Mar 7, 2013, at 9:59 AM, Jeff wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed the high resolution coastline files as described in
>>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/rangs.shtml
>>> The resolution does improve a lot. But this option
>>>
>>> mpres@mpOutlineBoundarySets = "GeophysicalAndUSStates"
>>>
>>> does not seem to work any more.
>>>
>>> Just wonder how can I turn on state boundaries when I use high
>>> resolution coastlines.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jeff