Re: (no subject)

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 04 2013 - 09:11:59 MDT

Hi Khandu,

I suggest going to gadm.org/country and selecting "Bhutan" from the pulldown menu. Click on the "Ok" button, and then click on "download". This should download several files in a subdirectory called "BTN_adm". In this directory are three levels of shapefiles.

Once you have the files, you can run the attached script to see the outlines of Bhutan

The "map" variable that is created in this script can now have contours overlaid it on:

   contours = gsn_csm_contour(wks,….,res)
   overlay(map,contours)
   draw(map)
   frame(wks)

Or, you can use gsn_csm_contour_map to create a normal plot with contours over a map, and then simply add the shapefile outlines to that map:

. . .
 map = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,….,res)

  lnres = True
  print("Adding adm2 lines")
  lnres@gsLineColor = "green"
  poly2 = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,map,"BTN_adm/BTN_adm2.shp",lnres)

  print("Adding adm1 lines")
  lnres@gsLineColor = "navyblue"
  poly1 = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,map,"BTN_adm/BTN_adm1.shp",lnres)

  print("Adding adm0 lines")
  lnres@gsLineColor = "red"
  poly0 = gsn_add_shapefile_polylines(wks,map,"BTN_adm/BTN_adm0.shp",lnres)

  draw(map) ; This will draw everything, including the map, contours, and shapefile outlines
   frame(wks)

--Mary