Re: gsn_csm_pres_hgt

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jul 16 2013 - 15:56:35 MDT

The original post did not provide enough information.
ncl-talk questionq should always include something about the variables
(eg: printVarSummary). Otherwise, people are guessing at what the poster
means or the structure of the data being used. Otherwise, there are
multiple emails which are quite time consuming.

---
Some approaches:
[1] Use the hydrostatic equation
         p = p0*exp(-g*(z-z0)/(R*T))
     where z0 and p0 are the reference levels.
     This could be done via array notation.
     The results will likely have to be interpolated to
     constant pressure levels.
[2] Perhaps for graphics you could use

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/stdatmus_z2tdp.shtml