Re: storm density

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 03 2013 - 09:49:45 MDT

Hi Alexander,
I didn't see any replies on this, so I thought I would add the following:
1 - I believe my coding is working as intended, but due to the fact that
the grid points get smaller in area the closer you get to the poles,
this results in less counts per grid box the closer you get to the poles
due to the diminished area. Thus, if you were to combine the near-pole
grid boxes into one box similar in size to the lower latitude grid boxes
I think you would find comparable numbers.
2 - Again due to very small grid boxes near the poles, your screen
and/or NCL is possibly not resolving the tiny grid boxes near the pole.
This may result in white areas as you see. I am not 100% sure on this
point though.

A possible solution to all of this is to manually set your arr&lat array
to get more course closer to the poles. Note though that there's not
much that you can do about the convergence of the longitudes.. An example:
arr = new((/14,90/),integer,-999)
<snip>
arr&lat = (/54,56,58,60,62,64,66,68,70,74,78,82,86,90/)
<snip>
arr&lon = ispan(0,356,4)

If that does not produce desirable results, then counting things up on a
grid where the grid box size is the same (such as the EASE grid) would
be my next recommendation. I do not have any experience doing this and
thus someone else would need to provide guidance on how to pursue this
approach.
Hope that helps,
Adam