date formatting

From: Brian McNoldy <bmcnoldy_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 31 2013 - 12:28:47 MDT

I was wondering if there's an elegant method to convert date date/time
in the format YYYYMMDDHH to DMonYYYY HH (e.g. 2013100112 --> 1Oct2013
12)? Basically, to define in an input format and an output format.
I'm currently extracting substrings for each field, and using 12 if
statements to switch from MM to Mon. Not a big deal of course, but I
didn't know if there are any existing functions that might be able to
handle this... I couldn't spot any.

Thanks,
Brian

--