Re: New color tables in NCL

From: Carl Schreck <cjschrec_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Nov 22 2013 - 12:55:45 MST

So here's a little more info in case you do decide to include them.

colorbrewer_wet is their GnBu (9 levels in sequential)
colorbrewer_coldhot is their RdBu (11 levels in diverging)
colorbrewer_drywet is their BrBG (11 levels in diverging)
colorbrewer_set3 is their set 3 (12 levels in qualitative).

They are all colorblind safe *except* for set3.

Feel free to rename them as you like if you do find them helpful.

    Thanks!
    Carl

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Mary Haley <haley@ucar.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> we don't really have.
>
> We do have "hotcold", "drywet" and "set3" colormaps that appear close to
> the ones you included, but yours are slightly smaller and very clearly
> delineated.
>
> These are similar to the colorbrewer_hotcold one:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/hotcold_18lev.shtml
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/hotcolr_19lev.shtml
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/posneg_1.shtml
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/posneg_2.shtml
>
> These are similar to the colorbrewer_drywet one:
>
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/GMT_drywet.shtml
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/BrownBlue12.shtml
>

> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/precip_diff_12lev.shtml
>
> This one is a larger version of your 'set3':
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/MPL_Set3.shtml
>
> If I add these, do you mind if I change the "colorbrewer_" part of the
> name to "CBR_"? I don't want to use "CB" unless these are color-blind
> friendly. That is, did you get these using the "color-blind" checkbox on
> the color brewer page?
>
> --Mary
>
> On Nov 22, 2013, at 6:57 AM, Carl Schreck <cjschrec@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mary,
> >
> > This is great! It's always wonderful to have more colors to play with.
> If 110 isn't enough, I've had great luck importing some of the color
> schemes from http://colorbrewer2.org/ They tend to look nice, and they
> have some more color-blind options. Attached are the ones I use most often.
> >
> > Carl
> >

> > On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Mary Haley <haley@ucar.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce that the next version of NCL will contain 110+
> new color tables. These tables are available for download now.
> >
> > To see a gallery of the color tables and/or to download them
> individually or as a giant tar file, see:
> >
> > http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/color_table_gallery.shtml
> >
> > Most of these new tables were contributed by Nicolas Barrier of
> Laboratoire de Physique des Oceans and Melissa Bukovsky of NCAR.
> > They gathered color tables from other software packages like Ncview,
> GMT, and matplotlib, and put them in readable form for NCL
> >
> > As always, the NCL team is grateful for these kind of contributions!
> >
> > --Mary

> > --
> >

> > Follow CICS-NC on Facebook
> > Carl J. Schreck III, PhD
> > Research Associate
> > Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC
> > North Carolina State University
> > NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
> > 151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
> > e: cjschrec@ncsu.edu
> > o: +1 828 257 3140
> > CycloneCenter.org: Help analyze tropical cyclones
> > monitor.cicsnc.org/mjo: See recent MJO diagnostics

 <http://www.cicsnc.org/>
Follow CICS-NC on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc>
*Carl J. Schreck III, PhD*
*Research Associate*