Missing value behaviour for "esccr" and "escorc"

From: Evaldsson Martin <martin.evaldsson_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Feb 18 2014 - 02:41:48 MST

Hi,
I'm wondering about the behavior for missing values when computing correlations using "esccr" and "escorc". Using zero lag for "esccr" I expected it should give the same result as "escorc", however, playing around with the attached script it seems to be true only when there are no missing values. The documentation mentions missing values are ok for both "esccr"/"escorc" but from the algorithm on their respective documentation pages it is not clear to me how this difference comes about.

Is there a difference and if so, how can I understand it (to choose the proper routine)?

The attached script reproduces this behavior with both,

ncl_ncarg-6.1.0.Linux_RedHat_x86_64_nodap_gcc444.tar.gz
ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_RHEL6.2_x86_64_nodap_gcc446.tar.gz

Best regards,
Martin

--
Martin Evaldsson, PhD
SMHI / Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute,