loops with linint1_n_Wrap

From: Jiaxin Zhang <jiaxinzhang3_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2014 - 18:03:34 MDT

Dear NCL users,

I have one question related with using loops (for different netcdf files)
with linint1_n_Wrap.

I had to do a temporal interpolation of air temperature from 6-hour to
1-hour using linint1_n_Wrap and it works for 1 file. Attached are ncl code
and netcdf input file with tair values for one month (the file name means
site1_tair_year2010_month01.nc).

The main problem is that I need to modify this code to use a series of
loops for all my netcdf input files (netcdf for several years and months)
and I am not familiar with this part. For instance, I have netcdf files for
different years and months where I need to apply the interpolation with
linint1_n_Wrap:

site1_tair_1980_01.nc, site1_tair_1980_02.nc, site1_tair_1980_03.nc,
site1_tair_1980_04.nc, ..., site1_tair_1980_10.nc, site1_tair_1980_11.nc,
site1_tair_1980_12.nc, site1_tair_1981_01.nc, site1_tair_1981_02.nc, ...,
site1_tair_1981_12.nc, site1_tair_1982_01.nc, ..., and so on until
site1_tair_2012_12.nc.

Could someone please explain me what do I need to modify in the attached
ncl code to include a loop for years and months? I would need to do a loop
first for year, and then for each month in that year.

Would it be is possible to include files with different climate variables
in the loop? For instance, do the loop not only for "year" and "month", but
also for different climate variables like "tair", "precip", "wind", ... for
site1.

I have checked the NCL "Mini_Language Reference Manual" and it says that
the use of loops should be minimized. So, I was wondering if using loops
maybe is not a good idea. Are there any other more recommended ways to
solve this problem with NCL?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jiaxin