Re: ESMF_RegridWeightGen not found

From: H. LeRoy Miller - NOAA Affiliate <henry.leroy.miller_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Dec 27 2013 - 15:18:56 MST

Hi Mary & Sean,

on the Mac systems, we use Macports to install ncl. Doing so requires =
that I download and place the ncarg-xxx.tgz file in the proper place in =
the Macports tree. I’ll have to check whether this method uses the =
Linux or the Mac tgz file for its source. It may be that it uses the =
Linux tgz file, which may/may not have the build for the binary you are =
discussing.

Macports has been moving to binary installations, however I suspect that =
ncl_ncarg is one that is built from source. This may be the “source” =
of the issue.

We are compiling on the Macports compiled code with gcc-4.5, on our =
10.6.8 Macs. gfortran is not installed, and certainly no libraries =
compiled by gfortran should exist on any of our systems.

Which computer are you looking at concerning this issue, Sean, Sif or =
Tintagel?

Roy

Henry LeRoy Miller, Jr.
Earth System Research Laboratory
Chemical Sciences Division
Chemistry & Climate Processes
325 Broadway - R/CSD8
Boulder, CO 80305-3328
USA

phone: 303-497-7209
fax: 303-497-5686
email: Henry.LeRoy.Miller@noaa.gov

On Dec 27, 2013, at 13:17, Mary Haley <haley@ucar.edu> wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:12 PM, Sean Davis <seand13@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mary,
>>
>> I attempted to join the ncl-talk list after getting my post pinged =
because I hadn't joined. But I guess I'm awaiting approval now?

> Hi Sean,
>
> Yes, it was awaiting approval and I just approved it. Thanks for doing =
this.

>> I'm CC'ing the person who installed NCL on my machine. I'm not sure =
how he installed it, but I doubt he built it from source. Roy, how did =
you install NCL on our macs?

> More information: The "ESMF_RegridWeightGen" binary should be in the =
same directory as the "ncl" binary. You can verify this with :

> ls $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl
> ls $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ESMF_RegridWeightGen
>
> Of course, this means that NCARG_ROOT must be set correctly. It looks =
to me like it is, otherwise you would be seeing different error =
messages.

> I just verified that the "ESMF_RegridWeightGen" binary is indeed =
included in the MacOS 10.6.8 / NCL V6.1.2 tar file that we provide on =
the ESG:

> ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.MacOS_10.6_64bit_gcc460.tar.gz
>
> If this is the file you used for the installation, then it should be =
there.

> --Mary
>

>> Thanks,
>> Sean
>>
>> On 12/27/13 1:03 PM, Mary Haley wrote:
>>> Hi Sean,
>>>
>>> In the future, please post your question to ncl-talk@ucar.edu. You =
need to subscribe first:

>>> You should also read our posting guidelines before you post.
>>>
>>> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/posting_guidelines.shtml
>>>
>>> The ESMF_RegridWeightGen command should have been installed with =
NCL, unless NCL was built from source code.

>>> How did you install NCL on your system?
>>>
>>> --Mary

unix command ESMF_RegridWeightGen is not found. To make the problem =
easy to illustrate, I adapted Example 1 from the ESMF_regrid() =
documentation, and used the file air.mon.ltm.nc from the NCEP/NCAR =
reanalysis. I uploaded the .nc file to the CGD ftp site given on the =
webpage.

"/Users/sdavis/sd-data/ncep/ncep.reanalysis.derived/pressure/air.mon.ltm.n=
c"

value. NCL can not determine branch, see ismissing function
2291 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl

3166 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl