Re: ESMF_RegridWeightGen not found

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Jan 03 2014 - 11:13:29 MST

Hi Sean,

Whenever the ESMF_RegridWeightGen binary gets built, it includes a =
reference to the gfortran shared library, "libgfortran.so". When =
there's a reference like this, it means that you need to have =
"libgfortran.so" installed somewhere on your system, *and* it should be =
a version close or identical to what the binary was built with. I'm =
surprised it's complaining about "libgfortran.so.3" and not =
"libgfortran.3.dylib", but that may be due to your version of MacOS.

You can use your Mac Finder to see if you already have =
"libgfortran.so.3" installed on your system. If you do, then you set the =
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point to the directory that =
has this file. Note that is usually recommended *not* to set this =
environment variable, because if it was installed in a "standard" =
location like /usr/local, then it should be found automatically.

If you don't have this library on your system, then you may need to use =
macports or HPC to install gfortran 4.5 or higher, which I think we used =
to compile this ESMF_RegridWeightGen binary.

--Mary

On Jan 2, 2014, at 3:49 PM, Sean Davis - NOAA Affiliate =
<sean.m.davis@noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Mary,
>
> I'm not sure if this is more appropriate to troubleshoot on the list =
or not, but I wanted to follow up with the EMSF grid issue I've been =
having.

> I am able to get ESMF_RegridWeightGen to be recognized using the =
procedure you outlined below, but now I am getting a different error. I =
was worried that this was related to the use of a Macports version of =
NCL on the Mac, but I actually get the same error on our linux machine, =
which used the opendap-enabled binary.

> I looked into the ESMF_regridding.ncl file, but I don't see anything =
related to the "ismissing" function on the line that is referenced (line =
2291 or 3166). Do you have an idea of what might be happening here with =
the fortran libraries? I'm cc'ing Jenny Fox, the admin of the Linux =
machine, in case she might have any ideas.

> Thanks!
>
> Sean
>
> [sdavis@marvin scripts]$ ncl convert_ncep.ncl
> Copyright (C) 1995-2013 - All Rights Reserved
> NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.2
> The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
> See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
> (0) Reading /home/sdavis/air.mon.mean.nc
>
> Variable: Opt
> Type: logical
> Total Size: 4 bytes
> 1 values
> Number of Dimensions: 1
> Dimensions and sizes: [1]
> Coordinates:
> Number Of Attributes: 5
> DstForceOverwrite : True
> SrcForceOverwrite : True
> CopyVarAtts : False
> DstGridLon : <ARRAY of 144 elements>
> DstGridLat : <ARRAY of 73 elements>
> ESMF_RegridWeightGen: error while loading shared libraries: =
libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or =
directory
> fatal:The result of the conditional expression yields a missing value. =
NCL can not determine branch, see ismissing function
> fatal:["Execute.c":8128]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 2291 =
in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl

> fatal:["Execute.c":8128]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 3166 =
in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl

> fatal:["Execute.c":8128]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 81 in =
file convert_ncep.ncl

> fatal:["Execute.c":8128]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 193 =
in file convert_ncep.ncl

> On 12/27/13 1:26 PM, Mary Haley wrote:
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> As we discussed offline, if you downloaded the =
"ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.MacOS_10.6_64bit_gcc460.tar.gz" binary from the =
www.earthsystemgrid.org website, then you should have =
"ESMF_RegridWeightGen" already.

>> If you are not seeing this file:
>>
>> ls $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ESMF_RegridWeightGen
>>
>> then one of the three things might be the reason:
>>
>> 1. NCARG_ROOT is not set to the correct parent directory
>> 2. NCL was not installed from the =
"ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.MacOS_10.6_64bit_gcc460.tar.gz" tar file, but rather =
from source code. ESMF_RegridWeightGen is not part of our software =
stack and has to be built separately.

>> 3. The special (and not widely known) "ESMFBINDIR" environment =
variable is set, but doesn't contain this executable.

>> In any case, I have provided the "ESMF_RegridWeightGen" binary for =
MacOS 10.6 on our ftp:

>> ftp ftp.ucar.edu
>> <log in as "anonymous">
>> <Use email address as password>
>> cd /pub/scd/haley
>> get ESMF_RegridWeightGen
>> quit
>>
>> --Mary
>>
>> On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Sean Davis - NOAA Affiliate =
<sean.m.davis@noaa.gov> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm having a problem with ESMF_regrid which seems to be that the =
unix
>>> command ESMF_RegridWeightGen is not found. To make the problem easy =
>>> illustrate, I adapted Example 1 from the ESMF_regrid() =
documentation,
>>> and used the file air.mon.ltm.nc from the NCEP/NCAR reanalysis. I
>>> uploaded the .nc file to the CGD ftp site given on the webpage.
>>>
>>> Here is the example script....
>>>
>>> Fri Dec 27 12:33:25 sif scripts> more ex1.ncl
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
>>> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl"
>>>
>>> begin
>>> infile =
>>> =
"/Users/sdavis/sd-data/ncep/ncep.reanalysis.derived/pressure/air.mon.ltm.n=
c"

>>> Opt@DstFileName = "dst_SCRIP.nc"
>>> Opt@WgtFileName = "NCEP_2_Rect.nc"

>>> Opt@DstLLCorner = (/ -60.d, 0.d/)