Re: flushing out buffer of output PS file, OLDPS vs PS

From: Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 09:00:18 MDT

The delete(wks) necessity was added in 6.1.2.

http://ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml#6.1.2

Such action was always recommended, but not required up until this
6.1.1/6.1.2 version. Beyond that, I assume the developers could give you
more info on the change. Because of this change, the "oldps" type was left
to allow for backwards compatibility.

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Arindam Chakraborty <arch13@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Kyle, Karin,
> Thanks for the delete(wks) solution. That fixes my problem. However, I
> wanted to know why this behavior is different between the two workstation
> versions.
> If I use eps, the figure is not "tight" bounded to the panel boundary.
> Making a PDF directly from that EPS will keep white spaces around figure
> panels.
>
> arindam
>
> --
> *Arindam Chakraborty*
> CAOS, IISc, Bangalore-12
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2@wisc.edu> wrote=
:

>> Yes, I would certainly recommend that Arindam uses the EPS type directly=
.
>> The flushing issue can be addressed via the 'delete' function regardless=
 of
>> the output format. Any calls to 'system' from within NCL can be a bit ti=
me
>> consuming, especially when that functionality is already in NCL.
>>

>> Kyle

>> Kyle S. Griffin
>> Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
>> University of Wisconsin - Madison
>> Room 1421
>> 1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
>> Email: ksgriffin2@wisc.edu
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Karin Meier-Fleischer <
>> meier-fleischer@dkrz.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kyle,
>>>
>>> why don’t you use the “eps“ or "oldeps“=
 format directly? Then you don’t
>>> have to call ps2eps.
>>>
>>> wks = gsn_open_wks("eps","test“)
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> wks = gsn_open_wks("oldeps","test“)
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Karin
>>>

>>> Am 23.07.2014 um 14:34 schrieb Kyle Griffin <ksgriffin2@wisc.edu>:
>>>
>>> When you want the newer version of NCL to write the output to file, cal=
>>> delete(wks), where wks is the name of the workstation associated with y=
our
>>> graphic. This is necessary regardless of the image type.
>>>
>>> Kyle
>>> On Jul 23, 2014 7:44 AM, "Arindam Chakraborty" <arch13@gmail.com> wrote=
:

 NCL