Re: No ESMF_RegridWeightGen in RHEL5.1.0

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 22:34:37 MDT

An RHEL expert may need to jump in here, but I don't think you can run RHEL
6.x binaries on an RHEL 5.x system. You may want to consider upgrading
your RHEL as well, or else upgrade your compiler, but then build from
source code.

It's okay to download and install an NCL precompiled binary that you are
not sure about, just to quickly try it out.

You can simply install it in a test directory somewhere by doing a "tar
-zxvf" on the compressed tar file that you download, and then temporarily
set the NCARG_ROOT environment variable to the root directory

For example, let's say you download the file
"ncl_ncarg-6.2.0.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz" file, and want to put
it in "/home/dongli/NCLTEST":

mkdir /home/dongli/NCLTEST
cd /home/dongli/NCLTEST
tar -zxvf /path/to/file/ncl_ncarg-6.2.0.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz
export NCARG_ROOT=/home/dongli/NCLTEST

You can then type:

$NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl -V

just to see if it gives you an error.

If this doesn't give you an error, then you can try a more complete test:

export PATH=$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH
ng4ex xy01n -clean

This should pop up an X11 window with an XY plot. Click on the plot with
your left mouse button to make it go away.

If this works, then you likely have a binary that will work on your system,
and you can now follow the same instructions to install it to a more
permanent directory. You can remove the
ncl_ncarg-6.2.0.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz file once you've done
the "tar" command.

--Mary