Re: Error with dim_area_avg

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 16:21:57 MDT

Hi Ipshita,
I think you might need to take a step back and really look at the data you
are trying to read in. This should always be the first thing you do when
constructing a program.

- From your printVarSummary output your sce array is of type byte. In
general you will almost always want to use the byte2flt function to convert
the byte values to floats.
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/byte2flt.shtml

- Again from the printVarSummary your data array is 2 dimensions, but you
are specifying more than 2 dimensions when referring to sce.

- Your data is also on a curvilinear grid, in that it has 2 dimensional
latitudes and longitudes. Different syntax is needed when dealing with
rectilinear data vs. curvilinear data. You cannot use coordinate
subscripting on curvilinear data as you are doing here:
z2 = sce({10:30},{40:60},:) ; select specific region

You should try using region_ind to subset your data:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/region_ind.shtml
Note the warning on the page that not all curvilinear grids work with
region_ind. You will want to make sure that the subsetting works but say
drawing a quick plot of the resulting array.

2 final things:
1)If you haven't done so already please read through the NCL mini-language
manual.
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/

2) Instead of immediately replying to every response that comes in via
ncl-talk trying to help you, try to work through some things on your own.
This is the best way to learn. Use the NCL website: Look at the examples,
look up functions, etc. You can search past ncl-talk postings by using the
search engine on the NCL website.

If after applying what I say above you are still having issues with the
script please do what Karin just requested: Send your complete script (as
an attachment) along with the exact error messages that you are getting to
ncl-talk so everyone can better assist you.

Good luck,
Adam