Re: nco

From: Sylvia Murphy (murphys AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 07:45:39 MDT

    benjamin,

    1) NCO:

    You want to use the ncra netCDF operator to create a time average. On
    the command line you would type something like:

    ncra dec.nc jan.nc feb.nc DJF.nc

    ncra will average the record dimensions of the three files and create an
    output file which I have called DJF.nc.

    to average two time steps in a file to create a "daily" file will depend
    upon how the file is structured. If there are only 2 time steps per file,
    then you may want to try ncra file1.nc ave.nc. I have never tried to
    just average one file like this, but it may work.

    On the CCSM Support Network, we have two sources to learn about NCO. The
    first is a pdf users manual:
     http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/Document/manual.shtml

     and the second is an on-line powerpoint presentation:
     http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/Document/show.shtml

    2) Regridding:

    I would not use the netCDF operators to regrid your data. They were not
    designed for such uses. Instead, take a gander at all the NCL regridding
    routines available. 14 options at present

    http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/NclFuncsAndProcs.html#RegriddingFunctions

    regards,

    sylvia

    Sylvia Murphy EML: murphys@ucar.edu