Re: dim_min & dim_max

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 22:20:16 MST

    > hi there,
    >
    > I seem to be having a problem with the dim_min and dim_max commands
    >
    > they both return the same thing which is neither the minimum nor the
    > maximum but is simply the array returned by using the 0 index in the n-1
    > dimension
    >
    > dim_avg, on the other hand, seems to work as expected?
    >
    > has anyone else noticed this problem? could it be an installation thing?
    > or am I just being outlandish expecting something to do with a minimum
    > or maximum to be returned?
    >
    > yours somewhat perplexed......
    >
    > jason

    Hi Jason,

    I believe you've run into a bug that we fixed a couple of versions
    ago. This bug seemed to only appear when the array passed to dim_min
    or dim_max didn't have a missing value attribute (_FillValue) set.

    The best thing to do is download the latest version of NCL from:

       http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html

    If for whatever reason you don't want to download ncl, then you should
    be able to get around your problem by setting the _FillValue attribute
    to some value that you know your data will never have:

       x@_FillValue = 1.e36
       xmin = dim_min(x)
       xmax = dim_max(x)