Re: ECMWF grib files

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 14:48:50 MST

    >I have an ECMWF Grib file containing the same set of variables on two
    >different time ranges. Is there any way to access a given variable on both
    >of the time ranges in NCL? It seems that NCL gives both of them the same
    >file variable name, and so is only able to access one.
    >
    >An abbreviated version of the Grib inventory for this file, as output from
    >wgrib, is:

    [Big Snip]

    The main developer of NCL is aware of this issue.

    The problem is with the ECMWF file not with NCL. Unfortunately,
    it is unlikely that ECMWF will change. It is possible that
    the source NCL can be changed to accomodate the file. The
    real issue is to make sure that there will not be an
    undesirable side-effects from this change. This requires
    some thought.

    Here is a quote: the problem is that I need to make sure thata data
    which actually uses the time range correctly will not be affected.
    To date I have not found any data that is inconsitent in it's use
    like this set.

    Regards
    Dennis Shea