Re: ECMWF grib files

From: Larry Horowitz (larryh AT XXXXXX)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 22:17:14 MST

    Hi Dennis,

    Thanks for your response. I appreciate that this is being worked on in
    NCL, even though I realize that it is probably a result of a non-standard
    ECMWF Grib file.

    In the meantime, as I mentioned in my original post, I have managed to
    work around this problem. I used wgrib to split the Grib file into two,
    with each new Grib file containing data on only a single "time range."
    Then, NCL can read each of these files with no problem.

    Thanks for your help!

    --Larry

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Dennis Shea wrote:

    > >I have an ECMWF Grib file containing the same set of variables on two
    > >different time ranges. Is there any way to access a given variable on both
    > >of the time ranges in NCL? It seems that NCL gives both of them the same
    > >file variable name, and so is only able to access one.
    > >
    > >An abbreviated version of the Grib inventory for this file, as output from
    > >wgrib, is:
    >
    > [Big Snip]
    >
    > The main developer of NCL is aware of this issue.
    >
    > The problem is with the ECMWF file not with NCL. Unfortunately,
    > it is unlikely that ECMWF will change. It is possible that
    > the source NCL can be changed to accomodate the file. The
    > real issue is to make sure that there will not be an
    > undesirable side-effects from this change. This requires
    > some thought.
    >
    > Here is a quote: the problem is that I need to make sure thata data
    > which actually uses the time range correctly will not be affected.
    > To date I have not found any data that is inconsitent in it's use
    > like this set.
    >
    > Regards
    > Dennis Shea

    Larry W. Horowitz phone: (609) 452-6520