Re: large files

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 10:38:24 MDT

    > I need to process large model output files.
    >
    > Can ncl handle large
    > - netCDF files?
    > - large variables in a large netCDF file?
    > - direct binary files? (fbindirread)

    Sylvia pointed out some of the issues with this question, and I'll
    bring up some more. Part of the limitation of using NCL to read large
    files comes from the limitation on the netCDF software to handle file
    offsets larger than 2 Gbytes.

    I've included a blurb below from the netCDF FAQ on their web site at:

        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html#lfs

    While this mainly addresses creating large netCDF files, I believe the
    same concept applies to reading netCDF files:

     Q: Is it possible to create netCDF files larger than 2 Gbytes?

     A: It is possible to write netCDF files that exceed 2 Gbytes on
        platforms that have "Large File Support" (LFS). Such files would
        be platform-independent to other LFS platforms, but if you open
        such a file on an older platform without LFS, you would expect a
        "file too large" error.

        There are significant restrictions on the structure of large
        netCDF files that result from the 32-bit relative offsets that are
        part of the netCDF file format. If you don't use the unlimited
        dimension, only one variable can exceed 2 Gbytes in size, but it
        can be as large as the underlying file system permits. It must be
        the last variable in the dataset, and the offset to the beginning
        of this variable must be less than about 2 Gbytes. If you use the
        unlimited dimension, any number of record variables may exceed 2
        Gbytes in size, as long as the offset of the start of each record
        variable within a record is less than about 2 Gbytes. For examples
        of both these forms of large netCDF files, see the Large File
        Support section in the User's Guide.

        To enable LFS for writing large netCDF libraries requires that the
        libraries be built with specific combinations of platform-specific
        compile flags on some systems.

    We have it on our list to try building netCDF with large file support
    and seeing how NCL handles it. If some of you have large netCDF files
    that you currently cannot read with netCDF, it would be of great help
    if we could have access to it for test purposes.

    > Have ncl binaries for some 64 bit enabled systems (e.g. Solaris, IRIX,
    > HP)
    > been compiled with a 64 bit option.
    > I mainly use the HP version for this purpose.
    >
    > Thank you.
    > -----
    > ENOMOTO, Takeshi, Dr

    We have compiled 64-bit versions of NCL under IRIX and AIX, and
    these binaries are available at:

        http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/download.html

    We do not have an HP in-house, so we are unable to provide any
    binaries for the HP. Compiling NCL with 64-bit does not automatically
    buy you the capability to handle large files, as the above paragraph
    explains.