Re: how to incorporate NCL into fortran

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 08:12:56 MST

> Hi All, We have a model written in Fortran 90, fortran 77 and C
> language. And the model calls subroutines in the subroutines. It's
> really a complex model. I want to use this model as the main model,
> the main program. I just want to call the NCL written scripts I have
> written as the subroutines in the model. I learned how to
> incorporate fortran 77 written subroutines and functions in NCL
> scripts through the website
>
> http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ug/ncl/gsun/beyondbasics.html#IncorporateYourOwn
>
> It seems that fortran 90 written programs can't be incorporated into
> NCL. And I don't know how to use NCL programs as subroutines in
> fortran models either. Can this be solved with NCL? If it can't be
> solved using NCL, I will transport the NCL programs into fortran
> subroutines. Thanks for any help in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Qiaozhen

Hi Qiaozhen,

There are easier ways to call your Fortran 90 subroutines from NCL
than using the method described in the above line. If you go to:

    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/NCL/fortran.shtml

It describes a way to create shared objects for calling your Fortran
90 routines, using a script called WRAPIT. WRAPIT works on many
different UNIX systems, and does most of the intermediate steps for
you.

Meanwhile, I will make sure GSUN mentions WRAPIT and points to the
documents on how to call your Fortran 90 subroutines from NCL.

---Mary