Re: NCL paper size?

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 08:17:12 MST

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if there's any way to specify paper size
    > in NCL? I'm in Southampton (A4 land) and my NCL PS keeps
    > looking for Letter even though it's not specified in the
    > PS itself.
    >
    > thanks,
    > dave reusch

    Dave,

    If you are using the gsn_*scripts, then you can use the resources
    gsnPaperHeight, gsnPaperWidth, and gsnPaperOrientation, in conjunction
    with gsnMaximize.

    You want to set gsnMaximize to True so that the plot is maximized on
    whatever size of paper you choose. Set gsnPaperHeight/Width to the
    desired height and width (in inches, sorry metric fans):

        a4_height = 29.7 ; in centimeters, if my
        a4_width = 23.0 ; reference is correct
        cm_per_inch = 2.54
        res = True
        res@gsnMaximize = True
        res@gsnPaperWidth = a4_width/cm_per_inch
        res@gsnPaperHeight = a4_height/cm_per_inch
        res@gsnPaperOrientation = "landscape" ; optional
        res@...
        plot = gsn_xxx(wks,...,res)

    Setting gsnMaximize to True will pick the best orientation for the
    shape of your plot, so you only need to set gsnPaperOrientation if you
    want to override the chosen orientation.

    You can see a master list of gsn* resources at:

       http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/csm/support/CSM_Graphics/master_resource.shtml