Re: New capabilities in reading GRIB files with NCL

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 11:23:23 MST

    > Many new built-in parameter tables were added, including all files
    > supported by wgrib...

    After talking with one of our NCL developers, I'd like to clarify this
    sentence. It should really read:

         Many new built-in parameter tables were added, including all
         *tables* supported by wgrib...

    It's important to make a distinction between built-in parameter
    tables, and the parameter table *files* that you can read in via the
    NCL_GRIB_PTABLE_PATH environment variable. These are two different
    things.

    Also, note that the parameter table files that NCL will be able to
    read are different from the ones that wgrib can read in. Anybody
    who's interested in what NCL's parameter table files are supposed to
    look like, send me email and I'll send you some more info.

    When we release this new version of NCL, full on-line documentation
    will be available on the new capabilities.

    --Mary
      haley@ucar.edu