Re: Grib to netCDF conversion

From: Greg Thompson (gthompsn AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 13:18:54 MST

    > The lab that I work in has a script using NCL code for making netCDF
    > files from values in ETA Model grib files. The netCDF files produced
    > have some incorrect metadata, such as listing the resolution as 40 km
    > when it should be 12 km. It seems that the script gets this incorrect
    > information from a look up table packaged with NCL. Where is this look
    > up table? How can I correct this? Thanks in advance.

    Actually, the real Eta model runs at 12 km but the output is
    interpolated to many, many other grids for distribution. I would
    bet that your grid is the GRIB grid#212 which is 40 km resolution.
    Getting the truly raw Eta model grids would lead to all sorts of
    headaches with both the vertical coordinate and the horizontal
    grid stagger (some Arakawa grid stagger for momentum versus
    thermodynamic variables).

    If NCL is reporting variables within the file that contain "_212_",
    then that's the grid I'm referring to. Again, the model was actually
    run at a different resolution but is interpolated for wide distribution.