Re: weather symbols

From: Mary Haley (haley AT XXXXXX)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 11:10:31 MDT

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying, unsuccesfully, to plot various weather symbols using ncl.
    > I noticed that there are a plenty of them in weather1 and weather2
    > character sets but in poor quality. As far as I know there are
    > high quality weather symbols in ncar graphics and especially in wmap
    > routines.
    >
    > Are the above symbols available in the ncl? Is it also available any ncl
    > routine
    > to plot various types of fronts?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your support.
    >
    > Petros Katsafados,

    Dear Petros,

    Please see the function "wmlabs" for drawing weather symbols using
    NCL:

      http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/functions/wmlabs.html

    Other weather map routines include:

        wmbarb - draws wind barbs
        wmdrft - draws weather fronts
        wmgetp - get control parameter values for wmxxx procedures
        wmsetp - sets control parameter values for wmxxxx procedures
        wmstnm - plots station model data

    You can get to these via:

       http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/ncl/NclFuncsAndProcsList.html#W

    These symbols will be of the same quality you saw in the weather1 and
    weather2 font tables. I'm not sure what you mean about them being low
    quality. Could you elaborate on that?

    Thanks,