Re: some problem

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT XXXXXX)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 09:29:11 MST

    >dear ncl friends:
    > i am just a beginner for using ncl.i have some problem when i use ncl for
    spectrum analysis.
    > 1.when we use the function specx_anal,which number could i choose for its
    third dimension "jave" ?i meant that i don not know what should be depentent on
    for the choice,or just only satifying "at least 3 or odd"

    jave: The choice of jave affects the bandwidth, the character of
          the spectrum and the number of the degrees of fredom.

          smaller jave yields higher resolution in the frequency domain
          (smaller bandwidth). The spectrum will look more jagged
          and the number of degrees of freedom will be less.

          larger jave yields broader resolution in the frequency domain
          (larger bandwidth). The spectrum will look more smoother
          and the number of degrees of freedom will be larger.

          Spectral analysis is part-art, part-science. The choice
          of jave is a funtion of what you are looking for.

    > 2,when i use the function specx-ci for red noise significent test,why is the
    lower bound should be drawn in its output ?

    Because it is a two-sided test.

    > in my eyes,we often use the upper bound but not the lower,could you tell me
    the reason for the lower bound line?

    Because variance less than that expected by a 1st-order (ie, red-noise)
    Markon model is as significant as more variance expected.

    > 3,another problem is that if i want to write freqency in the below x axis
    ,meanwhile i also want to write the relative period in the top x axis,what can i
    do in ncl ?(the frequecy and the period are corresponding)

    Are u asking about:

                        period
            __________________________________
           | |
           | |
      S | |
           | |
           | |
                         frequency

    [1] You can copy and modify the spectral analysis code.
    [2] In the next version of NCL, [a032], a new gsn_csm
        function gsn_csm_x2y (wks, freq, period, spec, r1, r2)

    good luck