Re: Image Conversion

From: Christian Pagé (pagechristian AT yahoo.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 10:09:35 MDT

Hi,

My method first was to produce .ps then convert using
Imagemagick to .gif. But it is very slow for a lot of
images. I am now using the following method, which is
at least twice as fast:
1- I produce maps using ngcm NCL driver
2- Convert to gif using : ncgm2gif -res 1362x1362
file.ncgm
3- Then, scale back the image using:
convert -interlace none -geometry 600x600 file.gif
filesm.gif
4- Crop the whitespace:
mogrify -crop 0x0 filesm.gif

This is much faster than going through postscript. I
am also producing, with the same ncgm file, a smaller
version for panels output, e.g. using:
ncgm2gif -res 862x862 file.ncgm
and then
convert -interlace none -geometry 380x380 file.gif
filevsm.gif

Examples:
http://meteocentre.com/models/gfs_long_amer_00/
http://meteocentre.com/models/gfs_long_amer_00/gfs_00_panel.gif