Legend colormaps

From: M. Stumbaugh (mstumpy AT myuw.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 22:45:45 MDT

Is there an easy way of using a predefined colormap as the legend
colormap? On the legend class description page,
http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ngdoc/ng/ref/hlu/obj/Legend.res.html
the resource "lgLineColors" is a resource of type NhlTColorIndexGenArray.
This is problematic because the predefined colormaps save a lot of
trouble in working out a coloring scheme but do not seem to reveal their
RGB values. In my map and legend I want to use the indexed
"rainbow+white" colormap from,
http://ngwww.ucar.edu/ncl/coltable.html.
The colormap works great in my map but the same indexes don't work
in gsn_legend_ndc. If I could get the RGB values from "rainbow+white" I
can envision moving select values into the NhlTColorIndexGenArray
efficiently. Otherwise this is going to make a near automatic process
real labor intensive. I'm done whining. Maybe there's a more clever way
of changing the legend colormap?

Thanks!
Matt