Re: wavenumber-frequency spectral analysis

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 12:17:24 MDT

>if i want to do the wavenumber-frequency spectral analysis
>and draw the figures like as attached
>How should i do in using NCL function code

There is no space-time power spectra function
built-in to NCL.

Several people have invoked fortran subroutines
to do this. A rather elaborate and complicated example is at:

   http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/diagnostics/variab.html

Example plots of the webpages created by the
variability diagnostics package are at:

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cms/mstevens/cam3.x/cam3X/VDIAG_eul64x128_d50amip/hourly
/hourly.html

   --------

The next release of NCL *may* have a 2D FFT function.

I am attaching a sample NCL script that invokes a fortran
2d-fft routine. This was written by a person who is no
longer at NCAR. Hence, there is no support for this.
Perhaps you can use the script as a basis for your work.

Good luck
Dennis Shea