Re: change time in a netcdf file

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 12:17:54 MDT

    >I have a file that has the following time dimensions:
    >double time(time) ;
    > time:standard_name = "time" ;
    > time:long_name = "time" ;
    > time:units = "days since 1900-1-1" ;
    > time:axis = "T" ;
    > time:calendar = "360_day" ;
    > time:bounds = "time_bnds" ;
    >
    >I need to change it so that the time@units are: "days since 1860-1-1"
    >and, of course, change its time values to reflect that.
    >
    >Is there an easy way to do that?

    ---
    If this was a standard gregorian calendar, the
    answer would be "yes". You could use
    the ut_calendar and ut_inv_calendar functions.

    The problem is that this is the 360_day calendar.

    Ummm, actually, now that I am typing this something just popped into my mind. It may be very easy.

    1900-1860 = 40 years

    Why not just add 40*360=14400 to time and change the units

    time = time + 14400 time@units = "days since 1860-1-1" D