Re: color fill order

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 19:12:54 MDT

    Hi Micah,

    I'll take a stab at this. We do have various "DrawOrder" type
    resources for controlling when portions of a plot are drawn, but
    unfortunately there's no way to individually control the fill order of
    the land and ocean with one of these (there's only a "mpFillDrawOrder"
    resource).

    However, one way to do this is to draw just a map first in which only
    the oceans are filled and the lands are transparent, and then draw the
    contours over a map in which the land is filled and the oceans are
    transparent. By making an area transparent, this ensures that whatever
    is underneath it will not get covered.

    I've created a short example that illustrates this, called "micah.ncl".
    You should be able to run it as is, and look at the comments for
    further explanation of what's going on.

    If anybody has a more elegant solution, feel free to post it!

    --Mary