Re: read ISCCP D2 HDF

From: Dennis Shea (shea AT cgd.ucar.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 15:09:25 MDT

    >I downloaded ISCCP data (D2) from the Langley Center.
    ><http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/HBDOCS/langley_web_tool.html>The data are
    >on a equal-area grid in hdf format. Does anynone have a NCL sccript to
    >convert this dataset in netcdf format on a square grid (i.e. 2.5x2.5) or
    >on a T42 grid ?

    Yes.

    However, the HDF formated files are not of the
    HDF-SDS [Scientific Data Set] or HDF-EOS 'flavors'
    which NCL currently is designed to read. Rather
    they are 'VDATA'.

    This requires that the appropriate libraries
    be loaded via a shared object. If your local system
    does not currently have HDF, it can be obtained from

         http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/release4/obtain.html

    The main steps in the process are:

    (1) The NASA provided fortran code isccp_d2_read.f
        must be made a subroutine. Then create a shared object via:

    WRAPIT -d -L /usr/local/lib -l df -l mfhdf isccp_d2_read.hdf_ncl.f

    (2) create an NCL script that loads the external shared object

     external ISCCP "./isccp_d2_read.hdf_ncl.so"

    (3) The user must preallocate space for all 130 variables
        on a 72x144 grid.

        nvar = 130
        mlon = 144
        nlat = 72

        xmsg = -1000. ;same as NASA ISCCP
        x = new( (/nvar,nlat,mlon/), "float", xmsg)

    Please contact me directly for more details about reading the data.

    ---
    good luck