Re: read ASC data

From: Rick Grubin (grubin AT ucar.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 12:01:52 MST

Hello Chao,

> I got trouble to read ASC data in NCL. I used:
>
> fl_in=addfile("Ml_lat.dat","r")
> print(fl_in)
>
> The error message is: "fatal:An internal error has occurred. The file
> format requested does not appear to be supported, could not open
> (Ml_lat.dat)"

To read an ASCII file, the addfile() function is not the one to use.
If you
view the documentation for addfile:
     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/addfile.shtml

you'll note that there's a link for "supported file formats" for this
function:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/
NclFormatSupport.shtml

addfile() doesn't support ASCII-formatted data. However, you can use
asciiread():
     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/asciiread.shtml

Please have a look at the examples on that page, they'll help you
determine how to
format the arguments that asciiread() expects so it can read your data.

-Rick.

----
Rick Grubin      NCAR/CISL/SCD/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies