Re: Beginning Longitude

From: Mary Haley (haley AT ucar.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 11:51:45 MST

    On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Prince K. Xavier wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > The longitude values of my data are 0, 1, 2, ....360. But when I plot it, the
    > beginning longitude is 180E (central Pacific) and reaches 180W. Even when I
    > plot a region using
    >
    > res@mpMinLatF = -60
    > res@mpMaxLatF = 60
    > res@mpMinLonF = 20
    > res@mpMaxLonF = 300
    >
    > plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks_1,sst(190,:,{20:300}),res)
    >
    > it gives contours from 180E-300E longitudes on the left, then leaves a blank
    > and then plots from 20E-180E. How can I have a continuous map of values from
    > 20E-300E ?

    Hi Prince,

    I think you just need to change the center longitude of your
    projection. The default center is 0, and it sounds like you want to
    set it to something like 140 (somewhere between 20 and 300 longitude):

        res@mpCenterLonF = 140

    > Another question:
    >
    > Can I assign time coordinates to a variable as calendar dates? For example,
    > can I have a time axis as jan1982, feb1982, mar1982....?

    Yes, you can do this. Please see the documention for the "ut_calendar"
    function:

        http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ut_calendar.shtml

    and look at example 1. I'm not sure if you already have time values
    and you need to convert them to "MonXXXX", but this should help:

    Once you have your time variable (call it "time"), you can assign it
    as a coordinate array of your variable (call it "x") in the usual way:

         time@units = "MMYYYY"
         x!0 = "time"
         x&time = time

    For an application example on assigning a new time coordinate
    variable, go to:

        http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/cru.shtml

    and see example 4 or 5.

    We have a "time" applications page:

         http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/time.shtml

    but I see that it badly needs some more examples. I will put this on
    our "to do" list for enhancing the application pages.

    --Mary