Re: about thefuction fourier_info

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:44:16 -0700 (MST)

> Are there somebody who use the function "fourier_info"?
> It's my first time to try use it. There are several questions.
> I wonder that the percent variance explained by each harmonics
> is given as "percent" or as "decimal fraction",for instance,50.1% or 0.501.

     % [ eg, 71%, 14.3%, ...]]

> And what's difference between the function and "ezfftf"?

     fourier_info uses ezfftf to calcualate the real
     and imaginary coefficients. These are used to
     calculate the amplitude, phase and percent variance
     of each harmonic

> Are there any other fuctions which can be used to do spectra estimation?
> If I want to do FFT, which function I can use?

     In the upper left corner of the main NCL WWW page,
     there is a "SEARCH" key ... enter

     spectral analysis

     This will connect yuo to several functions

      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/specx_anal.shtml
      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/specxy_anal.shtml

      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/spec.shtml

      Become familiar with http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/

      In particular, the "Application Examples"

good luck