ECMWF operational analysis

From: Andrea Storto <andrea.storto_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:15:26 +0100

Hi all,

maybe it's an old topic, but I couldn't find anything to solve my
problems, anyway,
I got an ECMWF operational analysis via the MARS archive,
(only Z,U,V,Q-rel.hum.-,T for 4 press levels),
In my ncl script I print out the variables and the isobaric levels:

*********************
Variable: names
Type: string
Total Size: 32 bytes
            8 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [8]
Coordinates:
(0) lv_ISBL0
(1) g4_lon_5
(2) g4_lat_4
(3) Q_GDS4_ISBL
(4) V_GDS50_ISBL
(5) U_GDS50_ISBL
(6) T_GDS50_ISBL
(7) Z_GDS50_ISBL
Variable: lv_ISBL0 (file variable)
Type: integer
Total Size: 16 bytes
            4 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [lv_ISBL0 | 4]
Coordinates:
            lv_ISBL0: [500..1000]
Number Of Attributes: 2
  long_name : isobaric level
  units : hPa
(0) 500
(1) 700
(2) 850
(3) 1000
***********************

When I try to store a variable and plot it through the functions:

T = in->T_GDS50_ISBL(0,0,:,:)
or
T = in->T_GDS50_ISBL

and (after very simple definition of "res" attributes)

plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,T(:,:),res)
or
plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,T(:,:,:,:),res)

I found two problems:

1 - Definition of long and lat:

*************
(0) check_for_y_lat_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a
valid latitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
(0) A valid latitude coordinate array should have a 'units'
attribute equal to one of the following values:
(0) 'degrees_north' 'degrees-north' 'degree_north' 'degrees
north' 'degrees_N' 'Degrees_north' 'degree_N' 'degreeN' 'degreesN'
(0) check_for_lon_coord: Warning: Data either does not contain a
valid longitude coordinate array or doesn't contain one at all.
(0) A valid longitude coordinate array should have a 'units'
attribute equal to one of the following values:
(0) 'degrees_east' 'degrees-east' 'degree_east' 'degrees east'
'degrees_E' 'Degrees_east' 'degree_E' 'degreeE' 'degreesE'

...Perhaps... if I print the longitude variable (g4_lon_5) it's ranging
from 0 to 360 (all positives)!
Something strange or not?

2 - Reallocation:

fatal:ContourPlotDraw: Workspace reallocation would exceed maximum size
16777216
 fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
 warning:WorkstationDeactivate: workstation not active or not opened