Error in running NCL

From: min chen <chenm_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 08:28:06 MDT

Hello

I am installing NCL on a Windows 7 (64bit) machine under Cygwin/X.
After following the steps on http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/cygwin.shtml ,
I found I am not able to run the script xy04n.ncl, which is copied from the
installing directory without any revision. The error message is like:

$ ncl xy04n.ncl
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.1
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
warning:GKS:GOPWK: --X driver error: error opening display
warning:GKS:GESC: --SPECIFIED WORKSTATION IS NOT OPEN
fatal:Workstation with PID#8 is not open
fatal:Unable to open Workstation-Can't Create
fatal:Unable to access object with id:-4
fatal:_NhlCreate:Invalid Parent id #-4
fatal:NhlDraw: Invalid Layer Id: -4
fatal:Unable to update Workstation with PID#-4
fatal:Unable to clear Workstation with PID#-4
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 158 in file xy04n.ncl

Looks it is a FAQ of "error opening display". I "printenv DISPLAY" and
get :0.0 , which looks reasonable.

I face some problems when I was following the steps in the instruction. The
first thing was I was not able to find X-startup-scripts package in Category
X11 when I was installing Cygwin/X. Another problem is I didn't find the
file ".cshrc" under my home/xxx directory (as discussed in the Set up your
envrionment to run NCL section). Do these matter?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

--
Min Chen