Re: High Pressure Ridge Identification Algorithm?

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 15:34:53 -0600 (MDT)

>I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know if there is an atmospheric
>ridge detection (from netCDF files) function that has been developed for
>NCL? I'm looking to develop statistics on ridging event over a particular
>region and was hoping that maybe someone has done similar work.

I know of no ready made software.

---
Having said that ...
What do you mean by "atmospheric ridge detection"?
Are you talking about atmospheric "blocks" ?
ie: blocking highs , blocking patterns
---
There are functions that can automate detection
of local min and max of 2D fileds
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/local_max.shtml
An example is at:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/minmax.shtml