Re: questions about interpolation by NCL

From: Louis Wicker <Louis.Wicker_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:57:19 -0600

Xuguang:

In general, interpolation is not going to be monotonic using
spherical harmonics. These values are largest near regions of
gradients? In addition, because spherical harmonics are not "local"
functions (like using lagrange polynomials), these Gibbs oscillations
are likely to be distributed across the domain. For interpolating
terrain, I would try to use more local interpolants, and then
constrain the output to be physical.

regards,

Lou Wicker

----
| Dr. Louis J. Wicker
| NSSL/WRDD
| National Weather Center
| 120 David L. Boren Boulevard, Norman, OK 73072-7323
|
| E-mail:   Louis.Wicker_at_noaa.gov
| HTTP:  www.nssl.noaa.gov/~lwicker
| Phone:    (405) 325-6340
| Fax:        (405) 325-6780
|
| "Programming is not just creating strings of instructions
| for a computer to execute.  It's also 'literary' in that you
| are trying to communicate a program structure to
| other humans reading the code." - Paul Rubin

|"Real efficiency comes from elegant solutions, not optimized programs.
----